© 2015. All artwork is under the protection of copyright law. The artist, Anya Holloway holds exclusive rights over artwork and reproductions. Attempts to copy, reproduce, or create derivative works is prohibited.







Thursday, October 27, 2011

Something to think about....(SOLD)


Spring Watercolour
How do we feel about bullying? Many of us have our experiences either being bullied or being the bully. I heard recently that Jamie Hubley took his life because of this terrible torment. Approximately 300 youths take their lives each year due to the thoughtlessness of their peers. 
I was bullied. For me to write this is difficult. I am a private person, or at least I rarely show my weaker side. It leaves you vulnerable. You learn this as you grow into adulthood. However, sometimes it is worth putting  out there. In this case, as I teach the young and impressionable, it is important that I do. 
If you have children, share this with them.  I am accomplished. I am happy. I am fortunate. I am hard working. I am caring. I am rewarded  each and every day by being able to  paint, laugh, and  be surrounded by people who love and care about me. 
Three girls bullied me. It went on for 3 years. It made me sick to my stomach to go to school. It made me terrified to go to certain classes. I said nothing. However, everyday, I told myself, before I stepped into each school hallway, each class, that I was worthwhile and better than they were. I learned something from them and that was that I never wanted to be like them. I would always try my best to be kind, caring, and empathetic. Teach your children well as the song says. If your child is a bully, examine yourself. Everything you do is a mirror to your children. 

A footnote: I found out years later when meeting up one night with one of the "bullies" what had happened to each of them.  One had dropped out of school , one had become drug dependant and the other no one knew where she was. The one I spoke with said that the reason they treated me that way was because they were jealous. I appreciated her honesty. My heart went out to them. So they really did teach me something.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive