© 2015. All artwork is under the protection of copyright law. The artist, Anya Holloway holds exclusive rights over artwork and reproductions. Attempts to copy, reproduce, or create derivative works is prohibited.







Sunday, March 4, 2012

The Seamstress and Her Struggles

Sails (Mixed Medium Sold)
As I love working with mixed medium, I decided that I would introduce my young students to the same. So I thought creating sailboats using a mixture of paper mache, cloth, gesso, paint, glazes etc. would be just the thing. 
I am not a task master when it comes to teaching. I love people to thoroughly enjoy what they are doing to the point where I will actually do the non creative parts of their project. I know, probably not the best thing to do when teaching. Not to worry,  all that stuff they will have to do on their own later.
 I like to break people in slowly, then they don't lose their love for art before it has begun. So that being said, I decided I would sew their painted sails myself. Each sail they created (using real sail cloth) was so beautifully painted that when I sat down to the sewing machine (yikes!) I went into a state of panic. What if I sew these with the wrong measurements (which I am hopeless at on a good day) and ruin the hand painted sails that these little darlings have so painstakingly produced? So I pour myself a glass of wine, which turned into two. Then I decided that two glasses of wine do not  mix with the sewing machine. Fear not, I knew that I should put the wee sails down and stop for the day. As my favourite heroin says, "tomorrow is another day".(Gone With The Wind) I wonder if  Scarlett actually sewed those curtains for the dress she wore. Surely she was smart enough not to attempt it after a couple of glasses of wine! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive